Early 1920s — Julius B. Nelson and Paul Lundblad start a painting contracting firm called Nelson-Lundblad
1940 — The partnership dissolves
1942 — Nelson revives the business as Julius Nelson Co.
1946 — Nelson’s son, Bernie, joins Julius and the company name is changed to Julius B. Nelson & Son.
1958 — Bernie buys out his father and remains sole owner until his death in 1973. (Julius Nelson died in 1962.)
1974 — Dave Davidson and Gary Larson (Bernie’s son-in-law) became business partners when they purchase the company from Bernie’s widow. Dave, a superintendent by then, had been with the company since 1947 and Gary joined in 1972 as an estimator apprentice. This new partnership began with Dave as President and Gary as Vice President. Along with running the company, Dave was a huge presence in the formation of the Health and Welfare and Pension Funds.
1992 — Dave Davidson retires. Gary Larson becomes Owner and President of Julius B. Nelson & Son. Gary picked up where Dave left off being involved, serving on the Negotiation Committee and chairs the Minneapolis Painters Health and Welfare Pension Fund Committee. Gary’s theory was not to do everything for everybody, but rather offer outstanding service to a fairly select group of general contractors and owners.
2010 — Gary Larson retires. Gary Buchert takes over as Owner and President. Gary Buchert has been with Julius B. Nelson since 1984, when he started his apprenticeship in the field, then becoming a field Superintendent in 1995. Gary currently chairs the Twin Cities Apprentice Training Committee, Labor Management and Joint Trade Board.
NOTABLE JOBS THRU HISTORY:
• Southdale Mall (the first enclosed shopping mall in the U.S. 1956)
• Maplewood Mall
• IDS Tower
• Metropolitan Medical Center
• Town Square
• Ordway Theater
• Centra Care St. Cloud
• St. Paul City Hall Wood Restoration
• Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Campus
• Target Headquarters
• Upper Landing